Neurological physical therapy is a type of rehabilitation for people with neurological conditions in the brain, spinal cord or peripheral nerves causing difficulties in their physical functions such as mobility, muscle strength, range of motion and balance.
The purpose of neurological physiotherapy is to increase the quality of life of those affected.
At Physiotherapy in Ibiza we treat patients with many different neurological conditions, including head injuries, TBI, hemiplegia, spinal cord injuries, etc.
What does neurological physiotherapy treatment consist of?
Neurological physiotherapy is based on a series of rehabilitation methods such as the following:
- The human brain is dynamic and can adapt to changes after a brain injury.
- Treatment should be tailored to the symptoms of how to use it for strengthening, sensory stimulation
- Encourage normal movement and function
- Correct posture while lying, sitting and standing
- Increasing functional activities based on daily tasks of daily living
- Use of verbal and visual cues to encourage the patient to think about the task and learn from the treatment
- Prevention of muscle shortening as it leads to spasm and abnormal movements.
- Teamwork for patient rehabilitation
- Actively involving the patient in the treatment sessions.
- Achieving the highest possible degree of independence and quality of life.
Beneficios de la fisioterapia neurológica
Después de producirse una lesión es importante comenzar con el tratamiento de fisioterapia neurológica cuanto antes. El tratamiento utilizado variará dependiendo de la persona, del grado de la lesión y de sus objetivos
Por lo general, tras una lesión neuronal la fuerza muscular y el movimiento se ven afectados. Los músculos tienden a debilitarse y se tensan produciendo espasmos. También se pueden dar dificultades en el habla y en el tragar. Un tratamiento de fisioterapia neuronal ayuda a:
- Facilitate the performance of precise movements
- Reinforce normal movement patterns
- Improve the ability to perform daily activities
- Increase muscle strength
- Increase range of motion
- Improve motor skills
- Improve posture
- Improve balance
- Lengthen tight muscles to help decrease spasms
- Increase endurance levels
- Help breathing problems
- Reduce the risk of chest infections
- Reduce the risk of falls
- Reduce stress and anxiety
- Relieve pain
- Increase independence
- Achieve maximum potential
How we use in Physiotherapy in Ibiza neurological physical therapy
A treatment as delicate as neurological rehabilitation should be performed by a specialized neurological physiotherapist with experience in treating patients with these diseases. Each treatment will vary according to the needs of each patient and may include manual therapy. As progress is made, it will become easier to perform everyday tasks such as walking, climbing stairs or simply turning over in bed.
Treatment at Physiotherapy in Ibiza may include stretching, balance and strengthening exercises. Our neurological osteopaths will help the patient to reach their full potential and improve their quality of life. A first consultation will be made for an initial assessment and a treatment plan will be designed to suit your needs.
The treatment program is structured to include both short and medium term goals. It will also include the family so that the neurological physiotherapy treatment can be given both in the clinic and at home, depending on the needs of each patient.
In the case that other specialists such as child physiotherapists, pedagogues or psychologists are needed, from Fisioterapia en Ibiza we also work together with other professionals. For more information you can use our contact form or call us today.